4% PayPal Fees | Ramblings of an e-trader

Friday 12 June 2009

4% PayPal Fees

A friend in the United States wanted to make a PayPal payment to the owner of a condo in Malaysia. Since my friend does not have a PayPal account, he asked me if PayPal is a secure mode of payment and if it is normal for sellers to demand 4% of the agreed rental amount to cover PayPal service fees and loss (if any) on FOREX.

This is actually a pretty normal practice by sellers though I read somewhere before that it is against eBay rules. This transaction is of course outside eBay, and this seller could demand whatever percentage he likes.

My friend wanted to know if I do the same for international sales where I accept payment via PayPal. I don't because I absorb those extra charges. The fees charged aren't much when the sale price is small.

0 comments:

Post a Comment