Fan Devotion | Ramblings of an e-trader

Friday 7 August 2009

Fan Devotion

Michael Jackson may have died quite some time already but his memorabilia are still hot stuff on auction sites. It is just too bad that these non fans always have the good fortune to get their hands on them while real fans have to PAY.

I told my mother that if I were a Michael Jackson fan, I would want to fly to Los Angeles on the day of his public memorial service. My mother does not understand that there would be people who would go there even without tickets. She doesn't understand that truly devoted fans do not mind lining the streets if they are unable to sit comfortably inside Staples Center.

I read that in the history of celebrity deaths, there are only a few who managed to garner a huge crowd of people on the day of their memorial service where fans would fly in from other cities, even from other countries. Michael Jackson was one such person. And then there were the Pope, Elvis Presley and Princess Diana.

I don't remember anymore the exact numbers but you can bet there were millions of fans who traveled just to be there for the celebrities even in death. It's not an exaggeration to say that local authorities had to work around the clock and bring in ultra sturdy Crowd Control Posts just to keep the fans in check.

In the recent Michael Jackson memorial service, the city of Los Angeles was said to have spent US$1.4 million. I am sure some of the money was spent buying high quality crowd control posts and ropes!

0 comments:

Post a Comment