The Specialization Of Web Marketing | Ramblings of an e-trader

Friday 14 May 2010

The Specialization Of Web Marketing

I met my uncle last week and he told me that he has not been successful in his web marketing campaigns. He runs an online education portal that offers fast track MBA programs, you see. Even though he has been in the business for almost eight years already, he has just started to explore the world of web marketing.

I have seen my uncle's banner advertisements on various websites before but have thought that they were not attractive to be clicked on. Besides, I thought that some of the websites that he advertised on were off his target audience. Moreover he had to pay exorbitant rates to advertise there!

I suggested a website to my uncle where he could promote his MBA courses to the right audience but he asked his software engineer to evaluate it, who came back telling him that the website is not a good place to advertise in. That surprised me.

 Why did my uncle seek the opinion of a software engineer? I think that he is better off engaging the services of a good digital agency, like the web development Edinburgh company, that would be able to help him with his online marketing campaigns. It's a specialized field by itself.

I also sought the opinion of a friend, a fellow webmaster, and asked him what he thinks of the design of my uncle's website. My friend told me that at first glance, he doesn't know what the company is offering. So I guess my uncle needs to redesign his website. Perhaps a web design Edinburgh agency could help him. The landing page is very important and it has to contain all relevant information and attractive enough to capture the attention of web users.

I hope that with these pointers, my uncle will see results from his web marketing campaigns. I feel bad for him that he has wasted his budget senselessly because he just doesn't understand how web marketing works and has been listening to his software engineer who doesn't know any better and based their campaigns on Alexa ranking only.

0 comments:

Post a Comment