2nd Phishing Mail from HSBC Malaysia | Ramblings of an e-trader

Wednesday 2 September 2009

2nd Phishing Mail from HSBC Malaysia

Soon after receiving the phishing email from HSBC Bank Malaysia Berhad, I received another one early this morning. The subject of the email this time is: Protect Your Internet Banking. The email that it came from this time is: onlineprotectionid12@hsbc.com.my

Although one may be fooled with regards to the authenticity of these emails because they both came from @hsbc.com.my domain, I think that it could be easily done to mask the REAL domain that it came from. I may not know exactly how it is done but I know it could be done.

Also, I was told to start protecting my HSBC internet banking from this link: http://www.hsbc.com.my/online/rbcguarantee.html. However, hovering my cursor over it, I was shown another entirely different URL. Needless to say, it is NOT the URL of HSBC Malaysia or any other HSBC domain. In fact, it is a Brazilian site.

If you did receive such an email, do take extra care. I have to say that it's rather alarming to receive two phishing attempts back to back even though I have been an HSBC customer for a long time and have never received phishing mails from "HSBC" prior to this.

0 comments:

Post a Comment