Phishing Email From HSBC Malaysia | Ramblings of an e-trader

Tuesday 1 September 2009

Phishing Email From HSBC Malaysia

I received an email purportedly from HSBC Bank Malaysia Berhad in the wee hours of the morning. Actually, it arrived at midnight but I only saw it in the middle of the night. The subject of the email was: Customers Benefits And Protection During Celebration , (yes, comma included) and it came from this email address: customersbenefits@hsbc.com.my

I wanted to check it out but I thought that since it's some sort of a newsletter which I occasionally receive from my two HSBC accounts in Malaysia and USA, I will only do it in the morning. I hate reading non-important email, or do anything that could wait till tomorrow in the middle of the night because my mind is not alert.

Luckily for me, when I checked it in the morning, I found out that it was a phishing attempt. I was asked to verify my HSBC account, and I quote, "to enjoy the benefits of internet banking and finance and to avoid fraudulent activities on your account."

A link was provided but of course I was alert enough to NOT click on it because it certainly doesn't lead me to the HSBC website! Anyway, I went to HSBC website with the intention of reporting the phishing mail but hard as I look, even with the help of friends, I couldn't find any quick link or email address that would allow me to do so. Instead, I found a telephone number to call should I have concerns and I also found a page regarding online security, the meaning of phishing and its jargon. Strange! I know all these, that's why I am trying to alert HSBC about it but they, unlike Maybank, are not making it easy for me and other customers in a similar situation, to do so!

0 comments:

Post a Comment